Monday, May 3, 2010

Classes

Meet Dale Chihuly. He is an artist. His chosen medium- Glass.



I'm currently taking a class this spring (one of four... blegh...) called glassblowing. Having been to one class, seen one demo, tried one time to gather molten glass from a kiln, I've discovered it's not something you can just be a natural at...

Anyway, this guy must be so hard core, I mean, he wears an eye patch. I thought "Awesome! He has a lasting wound from his art!"

Not so. Story is he lost the sight in that eye after a car accident. Not as cool as if it had happened while glass blowing... (Maybe I'll get one this term... not something completely maiming like burning off an arm, but a scar or something could be cool...)


Still, his work is fantastic!





This one I love because it totally looks like Pemberly in the background. Mr Darcy and Chihuly- what a wonderful combination.


And, to top it off- he has a huge sculpture in Abravanel Hall in Salt Lake!

I might post my work from that class. If it isn't too horrible. I've already made a marble, and that was hard work...

1 comment:

  1. I heart Dale Chihuly!! We studied his work in one of my humanities classes, and I've been in love ever since. Did you know he has an installment in the Bellagio in Las Vegas? It's on one of the ceilings, and I think you can see it in "Oceans 11." Good luck glass-blowing!

    ReplyDelete