
The beautiful Hagia Sofia. To reiterate how I feel about this building, I can only say that I was speechless. I still am.
It cost something like twenty dollars to get in. Not exactly cheap, but worth it. Colin even agrees. I learned a pet peeve of mine while we were here. My annoyance comes when some people travel all the way to Istanbul, Turkey, and don't go inside.
Let me repeat: THEY DON'T GO INSIDE!!!
Why is that such a big deal? I'll tell you.
-This building is amazing on so many different levels. Not only is it just breathtakingly beautiful, but it embodies and exemplifies the culture and history of the people of Istanbul. (I think that sums it up pretty well...)
-This building is one of the top ten buildings that you should see in the entire world. (well, I don't actually know that for positive... but it should be...)
-Traveling to Istanbul and not seeing Hagia Sofia is like traveling to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. Like going to Cairo and not seeing the Pyramids or Sphinx. Like going to Rome and not seeing St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, the Pieta, or the Colosseum.
It is a big deal. And I went inside.
I love it that you are sharing your travel adventures. And I think that I do understand why in awe and joy you cry in such places as the Parthenon and the Hagia Sophia. I have had similar experiences but with beauty in nature or with music. I will probably never see the places that are in your pictures...small sigh...but I can imagine. And I can look at the pictures.
ReplyDeletelet's go back.
ReplyDeleteseriously.
Yes and when you go back- take us with you :)
ReplyDelete