Thursday, March 3, 2011

Boring

I've been wondering lately if I am a boring teacher.

I thought they were fun ideas... But the students don't really like the lessons. Maybe it's how I taught them. Maybe it's because they don't want to have any respect for the student teacher. (I'm getting that vibe from a few students...) The thing is, Lou hasn't told me if I need to change anything. I want feedback, and I'm always asking him for it-- What can I do better? What needs to change?

All I get is-- You're doing great, keep going, each lesson will change, practice will make it better.

Thank you. I want constructive critique though. Like-- You should do this so that they understand better, or maybe if you made your instruction go in a different order it would be more helpful, or even--scrap that idea, it won't work here. I got nothin to go on. I'm all for encouragement. I am really grateful for that. But there has been no critique. Am I asking for too much? Am I one of those people who aren't happy with whatever they get?

Anyway, the Photo I students are working on restoring old photos and making new ones look like this:



Then they can take that technique and apply it in different ways. Like this maybe:



I like it. Some students are bored out of their minds.

I'm getting bored out of my mind this week as well. There are 8 class periods, and I teach 5. I have lots of time to plan lessons. Most of this week has been work time for the students though. I am there to answer questions, but the last couple days, I have just sat and read. I have read almost 2 books in 2 days. I'm so bored. And yet, I come home exhausted every day. I don't get it. All I know is, I don't want to be boring...

2 comments:

  1. Could you try to find projects with material that relates to them? Do you ever explain concepts with examples they can relate to? (aka recent pop culture they are familiar with, things they deal with in their daily dramatic lives) Remember what it was like to be a teenager...they are probably still focused on their own little worlds and lives. Try to bring them out of that somehow. And you have a passion for art...try to let them see that! If you are excited it will be easier for at least one student in your class to be excited about it. :-) Ah teenagers, ya gotta love 'em!

    Are many of them just taking the class to fulfill a requirement for graduation? Ask them WHY they are in your art class, and what they want to get out of it. Ask them what they care about, and see if they can relate that to whatever you are teaching them. Get to know them and they might respond better.

    Love you! Way to go Ames. You are working super hard and you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the saying, "Raising teenagers is like nailing jello to a try." Ditto for teaching them. I'd like to learn from you - I love both those pictures.

    ReplyDelete