Yesterday, my supervisor came in and observed me. Her name is Elicia. She is wonderful. She has been really supportive and genuinely thinks I'm doing well. However, she told me a funny story. A confusing one really... It went something like this-
"So your schedule is interesting--on A days you only teach half the day."
"I know. Lou teaches TV Broadcasting and has a prep in the morning. Since I have no idea what filming is about, my mornings are used to prep for these Photography classes."
"I was talking to (Miranda) and I asked why you have had such a crazy schedule, what with elementary only being part time and now this isn't a completely full time schedule...
(pause: yes my elementary was only part time, but Miranda made me find a teacher to go observe in the mornings. Mrs. Anderson's class. I wouldn't say I got shortchanged on my elementary student teaching experience at all. I loved it all. And, with my High School schedule, I'm still there all day, every day. I just don't teach some classes... Which, I think, is completely normal considering the circumstances...)
"She (Miranda) said- (pause: I'm almost direct quoting here) she knew that you would be a great teacher from the beginning and felt that you may have not needed any extra exposure."
(pause: ... ... ..............)
"(I laughed) Wow. That's not what she told me at all."
"Really? What did she say to you?"
"Oh, the exact opposite."
Confusion. I don't get it. How can from the very beginning be true at all? Remember this conversation? I was the scary teacher that would make students never want to study art. Ever. Not only was I going to be the scary-no good-horrible teacher, I was a scary-no good-horrible person.
I'll be interested to see what comes at the end of this semester. My very last final consists of an interview with Miranda. I wonder what she will say...
Anyway, more confusion comes when bad things happen to good people. Last week, my cooperating teacher, Lou, ran out in the middle of the day. I had no idea what was going on until a lady from the office came in asking if Lou had talked to me. About what? He ran out because his 4 month old, only grandson had stopped breathing. Later that day, a message came to me that Lou's grandson had died--SIDS. Oh my heart.
I may not have children yet, but I can completely imagine the hurt.
He came back to school this week, although he didn't take his allotted amount of days that he could be gone. When he was back, I heard the complete story of last week. Don't worry, I was able to contain my tears... barely... I pray for his family every day. It hurts to see Lou, and wonder how his son and daughter are taking it. As Lou put it-- little Crue is the lucky one.

You perhaps don't know that we had a SIDS death in our family, one of Colin's cousins, long before he was born. And it happened while my sister was tending kids while the mom taught piano lessons in her home. Nobody's fault but a very awful time. I have a tiny ickling of the hurt.
ReplyDelete