Sunday, April 1, 2012

Adopted

I study folklore.  


I still can't figure out how to explain to people what that is.  It is more than Brother's Grimm stories but less than everything.


I'm taking a creative writing and folklore class right now, and I have found a new love of story telling.  I found myself one day, sitting in class, listening to all my classmates tell stories.  I was interested by the fact that one girl's dad ran away from home when he was like 11 and spent a year or so living in a swamp in Texas, and I loved the story about another girl's grandparents' courtship--they were set up because they were a similar height, and then ended up stuck at a martini bar because of a hurricane for a day, and then got married :)  When it came to my turn, I found myself telling everyone how I was adopted.


"Wow!"
"Really?!"
"I didn't know you were adopted!"


Those are the typical responses.  And then silence from the class.  I think they were waiting for me to spill my guts about how unfulfilled my life is because I don't know my 'real' parents, and how I have had to pull through an extreme identity crisis to become the somewhat normal student that I am.  However, I had no such stories for them.


I have a mom.  And she will forever be my mom.  My dad will forever be my dad.  I am grateful that my birthmother decided that Emily and I should go to a home with a mom and a dad. 


And I think they thought my story was boring.


I, however, do not.  That's all.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are super duper marvelously completely awesomely ... lucky. Or blessed to have both a wonderful mom and dad plus a great twin sister, one that you truly love and enjoy. Next time tell a story about you and Emily.

    ReplyDelete