The hardest part about this week for me isn't that-
- I'm not missing sleep
- I'm not with friends complaining about rehearsals til 1am
- I'm not performing Hopak
- I'm not falling behind in school (well, that's actually not really true...)
- I'm not in Christmas Around the World
The hardest part of this week isn't even necessarily that we didn't choose to have this happen. It's difficult to describe the hurt that comes when you feel something is 100% right, and then it is taken away from you. However, that isn't the hard part.
The hard part is that I miss this:


I miss dancing with Colin. (like performing dancing. he pulls me into the kitchen every once in a while and we dance to whatever song is on pandora at the moment. that is happy.) I miss running around historical museums in costume. I miss having everyone point to you and want to take pictures with you because you are white and American. I miss putting on nasty make-up, putting in nasty hair, and frantically looking through your pile of costumes for that apron you're missing. I miss carrying around my 12 pairs of shoes necessary for rehearsal.
Oh my, I miss rehearsal! Now that is saying something. I miss the feeling of working hard on something that you can't quite get right. I miss the beads and the silks and the headpieces. I miss the lights, the stage and the nervous anxiety before a show. I miss wearing tights. I miss stretching after a long show while listening to Ron. I miss the bruises and the sweat, I miss the muscle rubs, I miss the sore tightness in every muscle in my body.
I thought this semester would get easier. It hasn't. But missing all those things isn't the hardest part. I miss dancing with Colin.
But I miss this more:




Good luck Emily- you are beautiful. Dance hard.
For me.
I'm so sad for you and Colin. I can't even imagine the hurt, confusion and sadness you must feel. For what it's worth I LOVE dancing with you (Emily and Colin) with CA and am happy you are coming on tour this year. Keep smiling!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I just discovered your blog and hope you don't mind I follow :)
I already commented but perhaps it didn't save. I said that reading your post brought tears to my eyes. I hurt for you because there really is nothing to do to fix it. I had a similar experience many years ago and it took a long LONG time to get over it. All these things may give us experience and, in the long run, be for our good, but still they hurt like H***. Still, thank you for sharing your thoughts. They were very eloquently expressed. Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhoa! Did my mom just...swear?! In writing? She must be REALLY serious!
ReplyDeleteAmy, I haven't danced in 15 years...and I still miss it. My heart aches with you as you move through this struggle in time and experience.
Love you.
Keri