Thursday, December 9, 2010

Disclaimer: This post is written in a very depressing vein. You are warned.



People think I'm mean. I've been told that.

People also think I'm elitist. I've been told that more than once.

Today, I went in to talk to one of my teachers. What followed was a conversation that was mostly one sided. She told me what she thought of me:

I am elitist.
I have no respect for authority.
I am irresponsible.
I expect special privileges.
I think I'm better than the rest of the class.
I am not a team player.
I think the art education program is a waste of time.

She is scared to let me become a teacher because I will be unapproachable. I will scare students because I am mean. I will scare students away from art, so they will never want to do it again. And I will bad mouth the art ed program once I am away. She isn't the only one who thinks this. She has talked to multiple teachers in the program, and they think the same thing.

She said every one of these things to me. Every single one was like a punch in the gut.

Needless to say, today wasn't the best of days.

4 comments:

  1. How is this even possible? First of all that someone would thing you are all those things. Second to think that it was appropriate in any way for a teacher to say them to you. So wrong!!!

    Hugs to you, Amy. I think you are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This person does not know you. At all. And she had no right to say those things to you.

    Love you Ames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful! I'm so sorry to hear that. Another hug from me. Coming from a teacher who is teaching someone how to be a teacher, that's absolutely an awful way to talk to a student, or any human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a bummer on top of a bummer! I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope comments and support from friends can mend some of the wounds. I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete