Dear Colin-
I read a blog post by Rodney Smith the other day and I love it because he describes my uppity view perfectly--and he has more right to it, considering he is incredible at what he does:
"The term photographer, as well as the word artist are both sacred to
me. They are so overused and violated that they almost feel like curse
words that need to be expunged from the vocabulary. They have grown to
denote and connote nothing. Everyone who picks up a camera is a
photographer, and everyone who paints, draws, sculpts, or doesn’t even
work is an artist.
To be a photographer implies a calling, a dedication, an ability to
expose oneself in a way very few people have the capacity or courage to
do. If one ever becomes a photographer, it is as if one has won the
Nobel Prize.
At any one time there are only a few people in the world that are
photographers. True, there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions)
who take pictures but these are not photographers."
I know. It seems a bit high and mighty. But I am totally with him.
You are married to a snob. I'm sorry.
Love from your snooty wife-
Amy
That's how I feel about musicians, especially singers and pianists.
ReplyDelete