Today I went to the Everglades. We rode on an airboat. Like in The Rescuers.

We saw alligators!!! I was too excited about taking photos to think about being freaked out about being eaten or something... And I got many photos on my camera camera that are better, but these are the ones on my phone, that are easy to put on a blog...


Can you see them? A couple of them got really close to our boat. Did you know they can shut their jaws with such force that they can break their teeth? They're like sharks and continuously grow them. They can go thru 3,000 teeth in their lifetime.
Also- the muscles they use to open their jaws are much smaller and weaker, so it is possible for alligator wrestlers to do this with them-

She is showing how you can hold the jaws shut with your chin, so your hands are free to tie up the alligators mouth. Cool. She's 4'11" and trains bears and lions and alligators. I couldn't do it.
But I could do this!

The alligator looks great in that photo. Me- not so much. Here is a nicer photo of me-

Anyway, I did learn more about the Everglades: like how people turn their pet pythons loose there, so they had an open hunting season for python-1000 participants and only 62 pythons were killed. Or how alligators in this area of Florida are somewhat of a household pest, showing up in your streets, yards, and pools. Or that I take so many photos it is ridiculous. It's not like the scenery in the Everglades changes too much...


But it was a fun day. Hot. Humid. But fun.
Wish you were with me.
Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment