Dear Colin-
School is kicking my trash too. But, I don't have classes from 8-5. I have homework from 8-5...
As you know, I am taking a class on tourism. Fascinating class. I feel like we are just talking about our life all the time. My paper should be exciting--writing about folk dance and music festivals. I have talked to several people about being interviewed for it, and I have gotten some great responses that are going to make my paper awesome. I'm excited for it. It's going to be a great paper--in my head. We'll see if it translates onto paper...
Tuesdays are still the bane of my existence. Graduate courses from 4-10pm. Blegh. However, I really do like the first class--my religion class. When I understand what in the world we are talking about. I still think the whole secularization theory is a load of malarkey. And those who are religious can agree--religion is not going to just die out. It's here to stay.
My English research class is just a graduate level course similar to all the writing classes we had to take for undergrad. But, I have yet to find out when we are going to talk about researching... or even writing for that matter. All we have talked about is The Merchant of Venice and critical writings about it. As it is, I am so wiped out from the theoretical thinking of religion that I tune out halfway thru English anyway... (I just got back a small writing assignment and she said I had a "well-written essay" that is "excellent work." It also had a circled "A" :) I consider this a big deal in a graduate level writing course... )
On a positive side, it is still looking good that I can write one paper for both my English and Religion courses. I had an interesting discovery that I want to talk to my religion professor about-- early on, religion developed to a point, in most societies, where a ritual/dance had rules or standards for performance. It was necessary for experts to be the ones performing and teaching the rituals because the ritual would be made void if it wasn't danced properly. This naturally developed a difference between performers and audience members. This mirrors secularization theorist Luckmann's view of how religion developed--with a gap between religious experts and everyone else! And this particular development of experts and others is the reason, in his opinion, that secularization is happening! (Ok, so I just re-read that, and it may not seem all that exciting to anyone but myself, but this directs my research to where I want it to go. So I think it was really exciting to find that mirror... )
All in all, I love classes. It is just so much work! By next Tuesday I have to do the following:
- Read 3 books
- Read 8 articles
- Continue interviewing people for my tourism paper
- Write a paper proposal for my research class
- Write a rough draft of my tourism paper
- Continue research for all papers- including reading books and articles and finding things online and in the library...
Ask me why I'm writing this blog right now...
I love and miss you- good luck with long classes
Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment