Friday, August 17, 2012

Appalachian Clogging

I am writing a paper.  Well, I'm blogging right now, but should be writing a paper.  It is about clogging.  I wrote one last term too, but this one is taking it a bit further.

See, there hasn't been anything written about clogging as it has developed in the last 30 years.  

THIRTY YEARS.  

A lot has happened to the dance form over the last 30 years.    People have written about clogging in that time, but they talk about clogging as it developed up until about the 1980's.  Nothing, according to published scholarship, has since happened to the dance form.  This is what is frustrating to me, but also presents the opportunity to write something that hasn't been said yet, which in academia is sometimes really hard to do...

Anyway, if anyone wants to check out one of the latest documentaries about flatfooting and buck dancing (or early forms of clogging if you wish)- go to this website- Talking Feet. Watch it.  It is awesome.  I love it. Watch it now.

And yes, I'm aware that the film was made in the late 80's early 90's.  And yes, I'm aware that that shouldn't be considered the most recent.  But it is...  This is why people like me and Gary Larsen and some guy named Andrew Howard are beginning to write stuff now.

That's all.

2 comments:

  1. Gimme sum mo' o' dat Gussie Lanes in a lime green pants suit. I just hope have that much energy when I'm as wrinkled as them oldtimers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to go back to school again!!!

    ReplyDelete