We drove from Santo Domingo in the DR to Jacmel in Haiti yesterday. It's a bit chaotic. Roads aren't all paved, and homes are generally painted cinder block or something.



We all had a panic when we didn't know where all our passports were- the bus lady had collected them all, and not really sure why she had... Long story. But we did get them back and got thru the border with no kidnappings or things stolen.
Then we fit fifteen people in a van with all of our smaller bags on our laps and all over the floor. You remember traveling with large groups- we bring a lot of luggage and carry ons. Three vans, 29 Clog Americans, and over 75 suitcases and other bags. We were cramped.
We had to sit like that for three hours.
We drive thru mountains, winding roads, mostly paved, with very large speed bumps every so often. There was very little light in the evening, so it felt like we were driving thru the middle of forest, but then buildings would appear, and people. It was odd to me.
Buildings were old, in disrepair. And then we got to our hotel. It was beautiful. Like a resort. Situated on the beach, it was clean and modern and even had a pool. The next morning, the view from my room was this-

Beautiful. And then you go to the other side of the building and it looked like this-

I really didn't feel comfortable staying in a resort with the poverty that I just across a wall. And yet, I don't feel I really have that much to give the people here. They need so much more than I could ever give.
I am grateful for my first world problems. I am also grateful for my view for today:

We moved to a different hotel today. Same manager, different hotel. It isn't on the beach, but it is nice. Especially since I was expecting to live in a tent for a week.
I miss you.
Love
I'm thankful for the internet and blogging, even in 3rd world countries.
ReplyDelete